Venison

Bonehead

Hntr. I tried calling yesterday the 10th to set up a pick up time, no luck. I will try again today. I come through that area around 2 PM or I can make it a little later. Will that work for you all today ?

Bonehead said:
Hntr. I tried calling yesterday the 10th to set up a pick up time, no luck. I will try again today. I come through that area around 2 PM or I can make it a little later. Will that work for you all today ?
We are leaving today at 2:00. If you want to get your meat today, you have to come by before that.

Bonehead said:
Not possible today. What about Friday or Saturday ?
I will be home most of tomorrow and Saturday. Call my cell to let me know when to expect you. Will PM you the number.

Jack,
The way it works, as I have told you before, is that when I get deer turned into jerky, I post that I have it, and whoever gets here first, or gets their money to me, gets it. At this time I do not have any, or have any on order. When I do, I will post that I am having it made and at that time, you can either send me a check or have Steve & Christy pay me for it. If when I do post that I am having it made you post what you want, I will give you a couple days to get a check to me, if you don't get it to me in the specified time, I will then pass you over and go on to the next person on the jerky list. The price varies due to deer being different sizes. I take the total price for butchering and turning into jerky and divide it by the number of bags of jerky. I.E. $300.00 fee, 12 bags, $25.00 per bag. $400.00 fee, 20 bags, $20.00 per bag. What I did last time, was I had people put down a $15.00 deposit when I placed the order for the jerky, and then once I had the total fee, I had them pay the difference on delivery. Right now, since I do not have any on order, or know when I will have some, I am not taking deposits. Once everybody that is currently waiting for a deer gets one, THEN I will have more deer turned into jerky. Here's what I WILL do though:

JERKY LIST:
Jackaholic 2 hot, 1 regular
Ken King 2 regular

Who else wants jerky (when I get it made)?

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
huntr1 said:
Jack,
The way it works, as I have told you before, is that when I get deer turned into jerky, I post that I have it, and whoever gets here first, or gets their money to me, gets it. At this time I do not have any, or have any on order. When I do, I will post that I am having it made and at that time, you can either send me a check or have Steve & Christy pay me for it. If when I do post that I am having it made you post what you want, I will give you a couple days to get a check to me, if you don't get it to me in the specified time, I will then pass you over and go on to the next person on the jerky list. The price varies due to deer being different sizes. I take the total price for butchering and turning into jerky and divide it by the number of bags of jerky. I.E. $300.00 fee, 12 bags, $25.00 per bag. $400.00 fee, 20 bags, $20.00 per bag. What I did last time, was I had people put down a $15.00 deposit when I placed the order for the jerky, and then once I had the total fee, I had them pay the difference on delivery. Right now, since I do not have any on order, or know when I will have some, I am not taking deposits. Once everybody that is currently waiting for a deer gets one, THEN I will have more deer turned into jerky. Here's what I WILL do though:

JERKY LIST:
Jackaholic 2 hot, 1 regular

Who else wants jerky (when I get it made)?
You know I will always take a bag or two - regular please. Also, any chance of having the butcher take a small deer and make it all into burger? If that is possible let me know, I just can't seem to get enough of it.

Ken King said:
You know I will always take a bag or two - regular please. Also, any chance of having the butcher take a small deer and make it all into burger? If that is possible let me know, I just can't seem to get enough of it.
I wouldn't mind having a load of burger myself. Wanna split a regular (big) deer and have it all turned into burger?

Ken King

PREMO Member
huntr1 said:
I wouldn't mind having a load of burger myself. Wanna split a regular (big) deer and have it all turned into burger?
Hell yeah, can you plan a pick up for Friday a week?

Bonehead

Hntr I would like to get in on some more burger too. Half a deer or whatever would work for me. Don't mean to horn in on your deal with Ken but maybe work it out with someone else ?

The Jackoholic

thinning out the tards
now what if... as im coming down there on thanksgiving eve i hit a deer and field dress it and drop it off for butchering what is my cost then??

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The Jackoholic said:
now what if... as im coming down there on thanksgiving eve i hit a deer and field dress it and drop it off for butchering what is my cost then??
I almost hit a 6 pointer on my way home over the bridge tonight. :yikes:

Ken King

PREMO Member
RoseRed said:
I almost hit a 6 pointer on my way home over the bridge tonight. :yikes:
A deer on the bridge? :confused: You didn't have anything to drink did you? See any pink elephants? Flying fish? UFOs? :biggrin:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Ken King said:
A deer on the bridge? :confused: You didn't have anything to drink did you? See any pink elephants? Flying fish? UFOs? :biggrin:

No, not on the bridge. :duh:

After I crossed both bridges doing about 70 mph he was standing on the side of the road.

Ken King

PREMO Member
The Jackoholic said:
I think it is all related to the size of the critter. From what I recall (and I am sure Huntr1 will clarify if I am wrong) a small deer is $45 butchering plus skinning fee ($7), large deer $55 plus the same skinning fee. I don't think the butcher cares how it ended up dead but bruising from a collision might not be a good thing meat wise, not to mention the vehicle repair costs which could make it a really expensive venture if you get tied up with a big buck.

Ken King

PREMO Member
RoseRed said:
No, not on the bridge. :duh:

After I crossed both bridges doing about 70 mph he was standing on the side of the road.
You probably scared the crap out of that poor deer. Good thing it didn't step out in front of you. That could have been a heck of a mess. Please slow down as I would hate to see anything happen to you.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Ken King said:
You probably scared the crap out of that poor deer. Good thing it didn't step out in front of you. That could have been a heck of a mess. Please slow down as I would hate to see anything happen to you.
Thank you :huggy:

If it wasn't for the car in front of me, I probably would have nailed it.

Not a good thing...

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Ken King said:
I think it is all related to the size of the critter. From what I recall (and I am sure Huntr1 will clarify if I am wrong) a small deer is $45 butchering plus skinning fee ($7), large deer $55 plus the same skinning fee. I don't think the butcher cares how it ended up dead but bruising from a collision might not be a good thing meat wise, not to mention the vehicle repair costs which could make it a really expensive venture if you get tied up with a big buck.
I believe you are right on that cost Ken, except that there is also a fee for gutting the deer, in the event it is not done before reaching the butcher. Most hunters do that in the field, because failure to do so promptly can cause the meat to spoil.

As far as the butcher not caring about the source, that is only partially true. Legally, he must have proof that the deer's death was legal. Hunters must first have their deer checked in and tagged before going to the butcher, in the case of road kill, police responding to the scene will issue a "road-kill" tag. A butcher could lose his license if he processed a deer without a proper tag.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Dymphna said:
I believe you are right on that cost Ken, except that there is also a fee for gutting the deer, in the event it is not done before reaching the butcher. Most hunters do that in the field, because failure to do so promptly can cause the meat to spoil.

As far as the butcher not caring about the source, that is only partially true. Legally, he must have proof that the deer's death was legal. Hunters must first have their deer checked in and tagged before going to the butcher, in the case of road kill, police responding to the scene will issue a "road-kill" tag. A butcher could lose his license if he processed a deer without a proper tag.
Didn't know about the tag requirement, thanks, but a busted grill and overheating should be proof enough that you legally ran over the deer. :lol: Oh yeah, Jacko said that he would field dress any that he runs over that is why I didn't speak to the gutting fee.