Superdome Evacuation Stopped After Shots Fired At Military Helicopter

Pete

Repete
crabcake said:
From what I saw, even the tsunami efforts were more organized, and that was in 3rd world conditions. :shrug:
It probably appears that was because it was "there and them" and this is "us and here". I think if you could go back and look at a timeline it was pretty much a clusterfukc for weeks there. That and nearly everyone was dead and things were washed away.

Last edited:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Pete said:
It probably appears that was because it was there and them and we are us and here. I think if you could go back and look at a timeline it was pretty much a clusterfukc for weeks there. That and nearly everyone was dead and things were washed away.
I can see the "separation" issue of it being them vs. us, but it seemed that information and aid was flowing a lot sooner and more efficiently ... agencies were able to get in there immediately and render assistance ... loved ones (where possible) were reunited ... bodies of those deceased were collected and processed quickly. Here, we have a city where there are who knows how many dead in attics and homes, floating around, laying in streets; looters/criminals still on the rampage; people are still wandering streets wondering where to go, hungry and thirsty ... just seems we're wayyyy behind the curve on this one for it being on our own soil. :ohwell:

What I find interesting, though, is all these people who are coming out of the woodwork, wandering the streets, having :tantrum: on camera saying we need help ... some of these people seem to be able to get themselves out of their homes now ... why didn't they do that before the dang thing hit? :shrug: They'd have been better off in terms of not being stuck on an expressway clueless ... and the relief efforts would probably be a lot further along had more people headed the evacuation orders. :ohwell:

:stepsdownoffsoapbox: I don't like to Monday morning quarterback, but I'm just floored at what I'm seeing on the news for it being this far into the catastrophe.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm having an increasingly hard time feeling sorry for these people. Every single "refugee" they interview, it's like, "When they gonna feed us? When they gonna bring us water? When they gonna get us out of here?"

So, through their own stupidity, they are stuck in a disaster area and yet they're pissed because "someone" hasn't come to take care of them?

Eff 'me. Let 'em starve to death. The US already has enough lowlifes - if we lose all the NO ones, yippee.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
crabcake said:
That's really sad! It's a shame the National Guard wasn't mobilized sooner and a military-like command post enacted to coordinate the efforts down there. I realize communications are out all over, but hell ...
A lot of the guardsmen lost their homes also. It takes time to muster and equip them to go there. They need to take food, water, shelter and fuel for the troops. Supplies specific to the current needs have to be gathered and transportation arranged. Nobody is going to send them in without the means to feed, shelter or the ability to return.
You can't just dump another 10,000 people with guns there.

Qpid

vraiblonde said:
I'm having an increasingly hard time feeling sorry for these people. Every single "refugee" they interview, it's like, "When they gonna feed us? When they gonna bring us water? When they gonna get us out of here?"

So, through their own stupidity, they are stuck in a disaster area and yet they're pissed because "someone" hasn't come to take care of them?

Eff 'me. Let 'em starve to death. The US already has enough lowlifes - if we lose all the NO ones, yippee.

and this is why your a BOULDER & a racist.

Last edited:

crabcake

cattitude said:
We don't see the good things going on in Iraq either.
I know and that's equally frustrating! I've wanted to punch a few of these media folks for their reports. One of Fox's reporters was hounding a police officer on I-10 asking him "why aren't you telling these people where to go? why aren't you bringing them food/water? :blahblah:" ... The media crews have power in those trucks to communicate; the city does not ... and walkie-talkie batteries don't last forever.

It seems to me the #1 problem they have down there is communication (or lack thereof) ... they can't get the word out to people about where to go (if they are capable) ... people who cannot get out on their own can't call in somewhere and say "come get me" ... police and emergency workers comm's are limited. At a minimum, a helicopter flying over with a megaphone giving some info would be a thought. :ohwell:

crabcake

vraiblonde said:

In many cases, I agree! All these people who suddenly have the ability to get out of their homes and walk could've done so when the evac orders were given and gone to the shelters, but they chose not to do it. The only people I feel sorry for are the ones who are elderly/incapacitated/disabled, and in those cases, it seems the city should have had some sort of plan to get those people out of their homes and to safety, or their families (if they had any) should've stepped up to help. It's not like there was no warning this thing was coming. :shrug:

Pete

Repete
crabcake said:
I can see the "separation" issue of it being them vs. us, but it seemed that information and aid was flowing a lot sooner and more efficiently ... agencies were able to get in there immediately and render assistance ... loved ones (where possible) were reunited ... bodies of those deceased were collected and processed quickly. Here, we have a city where there are who knows how many dead in attics and homes, floating around, laying in streets; looters/criminals still on the rampage; people are still wandering streets wondering where to go, hungry and thirsty ... just seems we're wayyyy behind the curve on this one for it being on our own soil. :ohwell:

What I find interesting, though, is all these people who are coming out of the woodwork, wandering the streets, having :tantrum: on camera saying we need help ... some of these people seem to be able to get themselves out of their homes now ... why didn't they do that before the dang thing hit? :shrug: They'd have been better off in terms of not being stuck on an expressway clueless ... and the relief efforts would probably be a lot further along had more people headed the evacuation orders. :ohwell:

:stepsdownoffsoapbox: I don't like to Monday morning quarterback, but I'm just floored at what I'm seeing on the news for it being this far into the catastrophe.
I think it is merely a matter of perception. When the tsunami hit, it washed away much of the wreckage and killed a majority of the people. It is easy to recover bodies when they are washed into pools of 50 in the open. The wave also receded making it easier in searching and recovery. Like a toilet that was flushed, it took everything with it. Now imagine trying to search NO. It is a toilet bowl that did not flush; it is still full of crap. Searching attics of thousands of houses in a city under 9 feet of water. To compound this the firemen and police were hampered because they were getting shot at and had to stop looting and rapes.

I am sure that there is a plethora of aide either sitting there or on its way. The problem is that because of the floodwaters, random gunfire, washed out roads and dozens more barriers between the people who need the aide and the supplies. Couple this with the pizzing contest going on between the state/federal entities about who is in charge and who can do what and you have a home grown batch of cluster fukc jambalaya served in a steaming toilet bowl full of people who should have gotten the eff out of dodge when they were ordered to. Sleeping in your 1985 chevy station wagon under an overpass in Memphis is a better place to be than wading waste deep in shiat and bodies hungry and thirsty. Either way you are homeless and lost everything, staying didn’t help it just put you in danger of dying.

crabcake

Pete said:
I think it is merely a matter of perception. When the tsunami hit, it washed away much of the wreckage and killed a majority of the people. It is easy to recover bodies when they are washed into pools of 50 in the open. The wave also receded making it easier in searching and recovery. Like a toilet that was flushed, it took everything with it. Now imagine trying to search NO. It is a toilet bowl that did not flush; it is still full of crap. Searching attics of thousands of houses in a city under 9 feet of water. To compound this the firemen and police were hampered because they were getting shot at and had to stop looting and rapes.

I am sure that there is a plethora of aide either sitting there or on its way. The problem is that because of the floodwaters, random gunfire, washed out roads and dozens more barriers between the people who need the aide and the supplies. Couple this with the pizzing contest going on between the state/federal entities about who is in charge and who can do what and you have a home grown batch of cluster fukc jambalaya served in a steaming toilet bowl full of people who should have gotten the eff out of dodge when they were ordered to. Sleeping in your 1985 chevy station wagon under an overpass in Memphis is a better place to be than wading waste deep in shiat and bodies hungry and thirsty. Either way you are homeless and lost everything, staying didn’t help it just put you in danger of dying.
Yea, I know ... it's apples and oranges ... different types of catostrophic events. But like you said, it's perception. And I guess, on my part, frustration. This is America and we are supposed to be better than this. I'm not naive enough to think there isn't good being done down there and that help isn't available. I see it kinda like a battlefield triage. They're helping those they can and those who followed the rules and got out. Those who didn't just have to suck it up and make the best of their self-created situations until help can get to them. But like vrai said, seeing 'em on the news biatching about why help hasn't arrived yet is frustrating. They'd be helped had they listened in the first place. :ohwell:

Just curious, Vrai, since you're down in the lone star state. What are you seeing/hearing on the local news down there about this?

Pete

Repete
Qpid said:
Go back and read her comments....if you dont see it either...than well u already know what I'll say to you.
I re-read it and you are the racist.

Vrai said nothing about race, not one word, not a noun, adverb, adjective, direct object, clause, phrase, conjunction. Seems the only person who drew any connection between the word “low life” and any particular race is you.

So tell me Ms. Racist why is it that when someone says “low life” your instant mental picture is that of Americans with dark skin?

Why do you have such a low opinion of black Americans?

crabcake

Qpid said:
Go back and read her comments....if you dont see it either...than well u already know what I'll say to you.
Oh stuff it! She didn't say anything remotely racist. She said what she's seen (and I've seen) on the news and damn close to ver batim. It's not our fault that the majority of those stuck in the city they were told to evacuate are not white. :duh:

Everyone has choices in life ... the majority of those people biatching on the news about why the food/water hasn't come to them yet had a choice to get out and they didn't, so piss on 'em ... they chose to wait to evacuate ... now they can wait for help to arrive.

Qpid

Pete said:
I re-read it and you are the racist.

Vrai said nothing about race, not one word, not a noun, adverb, adjective, direct object, clause, phrase, conjunction. Seems the only person who drew any connection between the word “low life” and any particular race is you.

So tell me Ms. Racist why is it that when someone says “low life” your instant mental picture is that of Americans with dark skin?

Why do you have such a low opinion of black Americans?

dont play that reverse shyt with me :lmao:

you know damn well 80% of N.O. is BLACK and when she said "lowlifes" she damn sure wasn't referring to the latino's or the white folk suffering.

that comment she made was cruel and unjustifyed.

its expected though....from her and many others.

proceed.....

Qpid

crabcake said:
Oh stuff it! She didn't say anything remotely racist. She said what she's seen (and I've seen) on the news and damn close to ver batim. It's not our fault that the majority of those stuck in the city they were told to evacuate are not white. :duh:

Everyone has choices in life ... the majority of those people biatching on the news about why the food/water hasn't come to them yet had a choice to get out and they didn't, so piss on 'em ... they chose to wait to evacuate ... now they can wait for help to arrive.

When all you have is your house which has no insurance by the way, you have no car, no money and no relatives.....

you still say they could have left??? and gone where? By time they would have tried to cross the bridge to get out of town the hurrican ewould have came already and they would be dead.

Pete

Repete
Qpid said:
dont play that reverse shyt with me :lmao:

you know damn well 80% of N.O. is BLACK and when she said "lowlifes" she damn sure wasn't referring to the latino's or the white folk suffering.

that comment she made was cruel and unjustifyed.

its expected though....from her and many others.

proceed.....
You still have not answered my question. Why when someone says low lifes you automatically think "black"? How did you become a bigot? How long have you been one?

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Qpid said:
When all you have is your house which has no insurance by the way, you have no car, no money and no relatives.....

you still say they could have left??? and gone where? By time they would have tried to cross the bridge to get out of town the hurrican ewould have came already and they would be dead.
Didn't they have several days warning? I can get pretty far walking in several days.